In the realm of youthful missteps and immature errors in judgment, a spectrum of juvenile offenses unfolds, each potentially steering young lives toward a crossroads of legal consequence. These incidents span a wide range, from common offenses like shoplifting to more serious infractions like firearms-related charges and gang involvement. At MacDonald Law Office, LLC, our mission is to offer a lifeline to troubled youth and intervene in a trajectory that could lead to criminality and its enduring repercussions.
Call MacDonald Law Office, LLC today at (410) 348-7809 or contact us online to schedule a meeting with one of our juvenile criminal defense attorneys in Salisbury!
Common Types of Juvenile Crimes
Many juvenile offenses are the kind you might associate with young people:
- Gun charges
- Shoplifting and petty theft
- Joyriding/car theft
- Gang activities
- Underage drinking
- DUI and reckless driving
Juveniles are often involved in other crimes: domestic violence, credit card fraud, identity theft, and drug trafficking. Parents fear that their children will slide into a life of repeated crime and punishment. Our job at MacDonald Law Office, LLC, is to prevent the punishment that will worsen matters.
When Your Son or Daughter Is Charged with Underage Consumption of Alcohol
There is a reason why Maryland courts come down hard on underage drinking: Statistics show that alcohol is a leading factor in fatal and serious highway injuries. And it is simply a fact that young drivers on alcohol or drugs play a disproportionate role in these statistics.
It's a crime in Maryland to drink until you are 21. A charge of underage consumption often accompanies a charge of DUI. Conviction on these two can cast a dark shadow on a young person's life — not to mention heavy fines, suspended driver's license, community service, and attending alcohol and drug training at your own expense.
Exploring the Consequences of Juvenile Crimes in Maryland
As a parent or guardian, it is important to understand the consequences your child may face if they are charged with a juvenile crime in Maryland. Even though the juvenile justice system is designed to rehabilitate rather than punish, serious consequences can still impact your child's future.
Some consequences of juvenile crimes in Maryland include:
- Fines and restitution
- Community service
- Loss of driving privileges
- Placement in a juvenile detention center
- Criminal record
At MacDonald Law Office, LLC, our Salisbury juvenile criminal defense lawyers have extensive experience defending juveniles charged with various offenses. We understand the nuances of the juvenile justice system and can work to minimize the impact these charges have on your child's future.
Defenses Against Juvenile Crime Charges
Juvenile crime charges can have serious consequences, but your child's future can remain bright with the right defense strategies. At MacDonald Law Office, LLC, we offer a range of defenses to safeguard your child's interests.
Key Defenses Against Juvenile Crime Charges:
- Lack of Evidence: Our skilled attorneys will thoroughly examine the evidence against your child. If gaps or inconsistencies exist in the prosecution's case, we will exploit these weaknesses to cast doubt on the charges.
- Age and Capacity: When building a defense, we will consider your child's age and mental capacity. Juveniles may not fully comprehend the consequences of their actions, and we will argue that age-appropriate interventions are more suitable than harsh penalties.
- Miranda Rights Violation: If law enforcement did not properly advise your child of their Miranda rights during questioning, any statements made may be inadmissible in court. We will rigorously investigate police procedures to identify any violations.
- Illegal Searches and Seizures: If evidence was obtained through an illegal search or seizure, we will work to exclude it from the case. Protecting your child's Fourth Amendment rights is paramount.
- Witness Credibility: Our team will scrutinize the credibility of witnesses, including whether they have any biases, motives, or inconsistencies in their statements. Challenging witness credibility can weaken the prosecution's case.
- Alternative Sentencing Options: We will advocate for alternative sentencing options, such as diversion programs, counseling, or rehabilitation, to keep your child out of the juvenile justice system and help them address the underlying issues.
- Juvenile Expungement: If your child has a clean record and completes their sentence, we will work to expunge their juvenile record to ensure a fresh start in adulthood.
Contact Our Salisbury Juvenile Criminal Defense Attorneys Today
Our experienced Salisbury juvenile defense lawyers will work tirelessly to provide your child with the best possible defense. We will fight to have their charges reduced or dismissed and work to ensure that a criminal record does not limit their future opportunities.
By choosing our firm, you can expect:
- Compassionate and personalized representation
- Thorough investigation and preparation for your child's case
- Effective negotiation and litigation skills
- Clear communication and guidance throughout the legal process
- Experience working with the Maryland juvenile justice system
Your child's future is important to us. Don't wait to get help.
Contact MacDonald Law Office, LLC today to schedule a consultation with one of our experienced juvenile criminal defense lawyers in Salisbury!
We represent our clients in a wide range of situations.
We value you and will protect your rights.
Our Attorneys deal personally and directly with our clients.
Fill out the form below to get in touch with our attorneys